Our practice offers architecture, urban design and interior design services. We’re also great advocates for ‘enquiry by design’ as a powerful tool for design investigation and consultation.
Founded in 1994, DR is known for its collaborative processes, responsive approach and inclusive culture. We provide integrated design services to public and private sector clients, universities and schools, housing and aged care providers, not for profit organisations, local and state authorities and government agencies.
At the heart of the practice is an ongoing commitment to using design skills to achieve social purpose. This drives our work in education, affordable and accessible housing, integrated seniors living and aged care, and master planning for communities.
Over more than two decades, we’ve also developed a reputation for our design workshop skills. Our enquiry by design workshops are used in projects at all scales — to explore, assess and resolve design options.
The practice is led by directors Peter Richards, John Deicke, Eloise Atkinson and Cameron Davies.
Our culture is defined by five core values that shape who we are and how we work with clients, colleagues and each other.
We share ideas. We bring our creativity to work every day, to develop ideas together, to solve problems and realise opportunities.
We listen deeply. We want to truly understand our clients and communities – who they are and what they need. We channel our empathy and our ability to see things clearly.
We build and share knowledge. We draw on our collective thinking, perspectives and expertise to benefit our communities and we actively engage with new thinking and ideas.
We lean in. We understand the value of adaptability, agility and being able to think on our feet. We seek new challenges and accept personal responsibility to make things happen.
We care. We treat everyone with equal respect and work hard to empower each other and to create a flexible, inclusive and equitable workplace.
Awards in the built environment celebrate the collective effort between our people, our clients and their communities. Here’s some of our recent awards and commendations.
- The Spit Master Plan, PIA Queensland Awards: Best Planning Ideas – Large Project, Public Engagement & Community Planning, & Overall Winner.
- TriCare Kawana Waters Aged Care Residence, AIA Regional Commendation
- Crescent House, Australian Interior Design Awards, Best in State Residential Category
- Crescent House, Houses Awards, shortlisted
- Stella Marish Catholic Church, Maroochydore, shortlisted, Australian Interior Design Awards
- Crescent House, Think Brick Awards 2017, Bruce Mackenzie Landscape Award
- Central Village Heritage Precinct, AIA Regional Commendation, Heritage
- Yeerongpilly TOD, Detailed Plan of Development, AIA Regional Commendation, Urban Design
- Yeerongpilly TOD, PIA Queensland Awards for Excellence, The Hard Won Victory
- Hymba Yumba Community Hub, AIA Regional Commendation, Education Architecture
- Toowoomba Region Urban Design Initiative (developed with Mike McKeown), Highly commended, Planning and Building category, 2014 Innovation Awards, Australian Regional Development Conference
- IAP2 Australasian Core Values Award for participatory research, ‘Participatory design for age-friendly communities’; awarded for a seniors living research project led by the University of the Sunshine Coast; Deicke Richards was an industry partner and associate director Phil Smith co-authored the resulting research publication, Infill Development for Older Australians in South East Queensland
- Infill Development for Older Australians, PIA Qld Awards for Excellence, Cutting Edge Research and Teaching
- Next Generation Planning Handbook, Commendation, PIA Australian Award for Urban Design